Thursday, January 1, 2015

Remote control

When we first decided to visit family over the holidays, I knew it would impact operating Red Badges on the Air.  There's always a few free hours during a visit, but the idea of taking along a rig, putting up a temporary antenna in the snow and ice, and being limited to maybe one band was not very appealing.  Then it hit me--remote control.  The results, a modest list of contacts for the couple of hours I had, were well worth it.
The experiment was a good one.  Which software to use?  I already had tried controlling my Yaesu with their software.  I like the idea that the graphic shows the radio just as it looks, with every button just where it is on the real one.
So rig control was the easy part.  Audio was harder.  I had an old MFJ sound interface I used years ago for digital modes.  Turns out I could adapt that.  Never did work out all the bugs, especially some RF in the transmitted audio.  But there was only so much time to get this done.  As it was, people heard me.  That's what counts.
Computer to computer software was TeamViewer, which worked pretty well.  Good thing about that program is that it will handle two-way audio as well.
Of course, Murphy had to pay me a visit. My main computer developed a problem which I'll have to deal with when I get home.  Fortunately I could press some backups into service.
All in all, a satisfying experience.  I was able to surprise some individuals with additional points for their Centennial operation, and advanced my knowledge of remote control.  If you have comments or questions, please let me hear from you.  73.

No comments:

Post a Comment